Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What changed?

So I was just catching up with an old friend from High School (God love Facebook!) and she said, "what made you actually finally start and stick to it?" My answer? "I really just got tired of being fat." Simple enough. I know I have said it a million times... and undoubtedly if you are reading this you probably are on your own personal weight loss journey. (Or you REALLY love me... so thanks regardless of the reason!) But losing weight is a choice and that is the hardest part of all. Once you have made the commitment it is not that difficult, but there are mental and physical obstacles that you need to overcome too.

I dieted before... and that is what it was.... a diet. There was no lifestyle changes involved whatsoever! I would make better choices. Not good ones.... just BETTER. But that is quite simply just not good enough. Looking at a bucket of fried chicken and saying, I will have a breast instead of a breast and a drumstick is NOT a good choice. A good choice is deciding to have a grilled chicken breast instead. The GOOD choices are never EASY. So brace yourself for that!!! It may mean bringing food where you go. I am constantly armed with pistachios, an apple, some granola bars, and sugar free gum. These are choices that I actively make every day. To plan ahead. I do not want to put myself in a position where I will make the wrong choice and then either feel ill or be mad at myself. I remember a time when I would eat at Chick fil a because I thought it was a better option than other fast food places. And in all reality.... it probably is! BUT... it is not a GOOD choice! And my body KNEW it a couple months ago when I had 4 chicken strips! I might as well have swallowed a whole brick. Your body learns very quickly what it wants and needs.

I honestly cannot tell you what changed. When I set my original goal it was 81.5 lbs from where I started. I set an unrealistic goal. I never in a million years thought that things would finally change this time! But now I see the goal.... I am within 15 lbs of it! I CAN DO THIS! Now I feel like not only can I reach this goal.... but I can re-evaluate and possibly start again once I am there and aim to lose 10 more lbs! I am making the right choices.... my body is becoming lean and tone. I still have a ways to go.... but I am on the right path. I am a living breathing lifestyle change.

No comments:

Post a Comment