Thursday, May 30, 2013

What is in a "Lifestyle Change"?

Well.... as it turns out the "Lifestyle Change" of making better food choices is tied directly to your overall lifestyle. I developed a plan and a way of living my life when we were in Charlotte that really made sense. I figured out the best way to limit and overcome temptation given the circumstances I was in. What I had not really faced or learned how to handle was what to do when totally outside of your comfort zone. What happens when everything changes? Well... in my case.... you falter.
In March 2011 I was down almost 100lbs, and I had a plan. I worked, I exercised, I ate well (at home). In April 2011, I changed jobs, moved back to VA, lived with my parents for a while, got married, went on a honeymoon, hubby got a new job, also moved to VA and lived with my parents, found a new place to live, and moved into a rental house. That was all in 30 days! I had done brief stints of travel during my weight loss where I faced challenges, but I was not prepared for this. All of a sudden I was back with family and friends and I wanted to be SOCIAL! Being social meant it was harder to make the right choices. For a while I was just having cheats, then the cheats turned back into what I did all the time. I knew the weight was coming back, but I had not really faced it. I would go through the motions of losing some of it, and justifying why I wasn't really committed. Now I have hit a point where I cannot do that anymore. When I think about why this all started, it was because I wanted to be healthy for myself and my future children.
Moral of the story- I cannot do this alone and it is silly to continue to beat myself over the fact that I need help. Once upon a time I was nearly 250lbs, and while I am not there now, I need to get this under control before I find myself shopping in the big girl section of the store once again. In Charlotte, I saw Dr. Marlowe (my fat dr- haha!) and his plan really computed with me. I was able to talk about what was driving my weight, and discuss ways that I could get my hands around this diet and make it work for me. Since I cannot drive to Dr. Marlowe, I have decided to go to a Medi Weight Loss clinic here in Richmond. My diet buddy in 2009 went there, and as such I know that their plan is almost identical to what I did with Marlowe. The biggest difference is that with Medi I will have weekly check ins. I love this. I need some accountability that I have not been able to self impose, and I am hopeful that this will be my path forward.
I will begin blogging again and hopefully this can be a lesson learned for so many. My first appointment is this Friday, and I will share my experience with you all. As it turns out, Choose Your Hard is right! Choosing the hard of keeping the weight off seems to be the biggest struggle of all.... but I am ready to lose it again and keep it off for good. With the help of Medi, I hope to learn how to keep my lifestyle change, and my lifestyle!
WISH ME LUCK!!!!! :)

"Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit."


— Conrad Hilton

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, I KNOW what a struggle it is, and I think you are smart to get this under control now! Over the years I have gone back & forth, up & down but would give up too soon or too easily. Only when I knew I had to do something to be healthier did I get serious about it! This isn't a "diet" but my new lifestyle, and I am worth whatever it takes to be successful... and you are, too!! I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete