Saturday, September 17, 2011

Challenge- Butternut Squash Soup



(CHECK OUT THAT STEAM!!!!)

For this challenge I used the following ingredients from my Dominion Harvest mystery box-

  •  Butternut Squash


First, I chopped a whole yellow onion and browned it in a tablespoon of olive oil plus salt and pepper to taste, in a 3qt pot.
Then, I added 1.5 teaspoons cumin and 1.5 teaspoons of ground coriander.
Then I added the chopped up butternut squash with 2 cups of low sodium fat free chicken stock and 1 cup water. I brought it to a boil, then turned to a simmer and covered with a lid.
After the squash had become tender, I put everything in a blended (it took several batches) and blended to a nice smooth texture.
To serve, I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top.

OK I will be honest, Kyle was not a fan of this one, but I loved it. I thought it was tasty and hardly had any calories, less than 100 per serving!!! My recommendation is that if you like squash, you will like this soup... but this is probably not something that is dynamic to make a believer out of someone who usually turns their nose up at this wonderful flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment