Thursday, September 15, 2011

Challenge- Chicken Lettuce Wraps



First, I know that these pics are not the best. I vow to start using a real camera from now on. No more cell phone pics!

For this challenge I used the following ingredients from my Dominion Harvest mystery box-


  • Bibb Lettuce
  • Red Bell Pepper
  • White Cheddar Cheese
 First, I put about a tablespoon of olive oil in my trusty cast iron pan and once it is hot, I added 2lbs of ground chicken. I sprinkled one teaspoon of Mrs. Dash (Salt Free) Southwest Chipotle seasoning with 1/2 a teaspoon garlic powder and a dash of black pepper. Break up the meat with a flat edged spoon, and turn once browned. After turning, add equal amounts of seasoning as previously used.
Next, I diced half of a red bell pepper and threw it in with the chicken. Continue to break the chicken up so it is in smaller pieces.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of Worcestershire. (I know what you are thinking... this is an ingredient that is used on BEEF! Well, yeah, but it adds tremendous depth of flavor and allows a meal that takes 20 minutes to taste like you spent significantly longer! TRUST ME!)
While the meat simmers away, gently wash your bibb lettuce and evenly disperse it among the plates.
Shred a small amount (about 1oz per person) of the fresh white cheddar cheese to be served with your wraps. You are welcome to serve more, but if you are counting calories like I am, keep it to 1oz and be greatful for the indulgence!
Lastly, put your chicken with peppers in a bowl and place it on a plate with your lettuce leaves and your cheese on the side. I chose to add some salsa to mine for an added punch!

This was a delicious and healthy dinner! This has the added benefit of making you work to put the food together before you eat it. This is fun because it is interactive, but it allows your stomach to have time to tell your brain "I am full." I once dieted simply by eating EVERYTHING with chopsticks. Seriously! (It is crazy what fat people will resort to to get thin!) Even without changing the food I was eating, I lost a good bit of weight simply because I slowed myself down! We need to remember to have a relationship with food that does not begin and end with inhaling it. When you take the time to enjoy your meal, you give your body time to tell you when enough is enough. Trust me, and if I see you out eating steak and salad with chopsticks, you will get no judgement from me!


No comments:

Post a Comment