Thursday, September 15, 2011

Challenge- Spicy Green Beans


Ok guys, step one of my personal challenge. You will notice that you do not find many processed carbs in my meals, so my plates may look empty... but healthy!!!

For this challenge I used the following ingredients from my Dominion Harvest mystery box-
  • Green Beans
  • Red Bell Peppers
For this I blanched the green beans in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drained and put in an ice bath to stop the cooking process, then drained again.
In a non stick pan, I heated up a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat, then added 2 tablespoons of shallots and cooked for 2 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
Next, add a crushed garlic clove and simmer for another 30 seconds.
Then add 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/2 a teaspoon chili pepper powder and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper and stir around until well mixed with the oil.
Lastly, add the green beans (I had about 1lb) and one red bell pepper that was sliced in long thin strips. Stir around so it is well covered, and allow to cook about 2 more minutes.

I like my green beans crispy... so if you prefer they be softer, you might allow for more time at the end. This ended up being a pretty dish that I served with a pork loin that I covered in cajun spice before cooking in the oven. All in all, it was a meal with the right kind of heat that didn't make anyone sweat while eating. I hope you give it a try and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. sounds delish, but where is the protien?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the cajun pork that I made! I didn't put that recipe bc this is all about the mystery basket. :)

    ReplyDelete