Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A New Way of Eating

With my new role at work I am traveling quite a bit these days. That has given me the opportunity to try new foods at some really incredible places! I have really learned what a difference local and organic food can make to the taste of the dishes you ar making. As a result, I recently started looking into getting involved into a co-op or getting produce from local, sustainable farms and finally decided on Dominion Harvest (https://www.dominionharvest.com/). I decided to order the Cardinal box and to have it delivered to our house once a week. Knowing that Kyle is picky on things, I knew this would be a risk but thought I could always eat the veggies myself!

Today I got my first shipment and I was SO EXCITED! I read how it would come to us, in a red bin with ice packs and I even told Kyle he wasn't allowed to open it until I got home! When I walked in and saw that red box on our counter it was like a little kid on Christmas morning! I opened it and dug through the packing and ice pack and finally got to the goodies. JACKPOT!!!! I noticed there is a paper taped to the box that tells you what is in the box, and what farm it came from. How amazing to know EXACTLY where your produce came from? Kyle stood by as I dug through and explained everything to him, even though he knew what most of it was already. God love him for his patience!

Well, once I saw this box it sparked something in me.... a challenge. And lord knows I LOVE a challenge! Recently I have been considering taking a cookbook and cooking every single thing out of it (picture the movie Julie and Julia). Here is what I came up with instead- Every week I will post a picture of my produce with a list of what I got. Then, I am going to come up with some (mostly) healthy recipes to use everything I got and share them in my blog! My thought is that I can mix and match as much as I want, but I will have to use every single thing at least once.


So.... this is Week 1 from Dominion Harvest! Here is what I got-
A dozen brown eggs
3 red peppers
3 cucumbers
1 eggplant
1 butternut squash
1 head of bibb lettuce
4 asian pears
2lbs (roughly) green beans
1 jar of local honey
White cheddar cheese (forgot to put it in the pics! WHOOPS!)

(On a side note, check out that amazing cutting board I got this weekend! That thing is BAD ASS!)

So, let the games begin!!!!!! I am excited to share my food with you!

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! What a challenge! So, can you just eat the Asian pears like a regular piece of fruit or do you need to actually incorporate all of it into a meal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am planning to use everything in a mean, but not necessarily cook each item. :)

    ReplyDelete